First off, I’d like to get the joke out of the way that BITS is a bit of an oxymoron sort of like Army Intelligence….ba dah ba!
OK, now that I’ve got that out of my system, I have to say that this has been one heck of a problem to solve, and that the search-ability of this topic is fairly low.
My problem arose a while back when my Windows Automatic Updater stopped updating automatically. At first it was not a big deal, I would simply use my browser to go to the Microsoft Update site on a regular basis. While this is a fine solution for me, I realize that for a large majority it is not.
I recently decided to install the Google Pack since I wanted some of the Google Software it contained and did not feel like tracking down the stand alone installers. After installing the “Google Updater” the software would tell me that the “Background Intelligent Transfer Service failed to start”. Looking in the Event Viewer I was presented with this information from the System log.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7023
Time: 7:21:39 AM
The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service terminated with the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.
Not very informative and, unfortunately, searching for that event ID and other bits of information was not very fruitful.
I finally came across the post How To Fix Windows Update (BITS/AU) after quite a bit of searching. Reading through this fine article by Mike I quickly realized just how many things can go wrong with BITS.
I began going through the list of things to try, of course verifying first if I needed to do a particular step. In step 2 there is a registry file to down and merge to try to fix the problem. I opened the file and looked through each setting to see if I needed to do it. It turned out that there was 1 setting I was missing. Parameters key was missing completely. Here is the part of the registry file that I ended up merging which fixed my BITS problem.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
The ServiceDll value, converted to ASCII, is C:\WINDOWS\system32\qmgr.dll
After merging this my service started up and Google Updater worked great. Thanks for the article, Mike!